How does it work?
As a user you will input and also choose a number of outcomes-each of which has been asigned a value or 'financial proxy'. This refers to the amount of money that either such an intervention would have cost-had it been paid for, or how much has been saved in economic terms by the provision of the outcome. For example......
DTNI aims for the SIMS tool to assist with:
- Increasing the number of asset transfers in Northern Ireland by advocating for sustainable asset based community development.
- Building the capacity of development trusts in Northern Ireland especially around impact measurement
- Enhancing the provision of training and support to members to meet their need to regularly evaluate and review
- Supporting the establishment of new development trusts
SIMS allows for for the triangulation of inputs (Theme, Activity & Outcome) to produce an overall report and a 'financial proxy' which amounts to the cost of the intervention in terms of its social impact or the cost saving.
The report is designed to assist DTNI members and other VCSE, Charity and Faith Based organisations to be able to assess and measure the impact of their work. The SIMS product will utilise a range of indicators and financial proxies to assist an organisation monetise its services and activities but will largely be aimed at:.
- Facilitating and engaging DTNI member organisations to assess and financially value their social return
- Facilitating and engaging other VCSE, Charity and Faith Based organisations to assess and financially value their social return
- Facilitating and engaging statutory sector organisations with a programme development focus to utilise SIMS as an impact measurement resource